Playback volume of recording is less than the source

Sound recording software. Support MP3, WMA, WAV, OGG and APE formats
fruitypie

Playback volume of recording is less than the source

Post by fruitypie »

Greetings,
Long time user of I-sound with XP.
Today I ran I-sound for the first time on Vista.

PROBLEM:
I have the I-sound recording volume set at 75% but the playback volume is only 1/2 as loud as the source was. Increasing the recording volume to 100% doesn't help and the low volume problem is present with any selected playback device.

Is this normal? Didn't have that problem under XP.

Thanks,
Jack

I-Sound 6.82
Vista Ultimate
ClaroPlus sound card - (with latest driver emailed to me by Claro support today)

Select Recording Device
Stereo Mix (HTO Claro)

Select Playback Device
Primary sound driver
Digital Output (HTO Claro)
Speakers (HTO Claro)
Digital Output Device (HDMI) (High Definition Audio)
Digital Output Device (SPDIF) High definition audio

Selected Codec
MP3
Sample rate: 44100
Mode : Stereo
Encode Mode: Constant Bitrate
Bitrate: 128
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

If you record streaming audio then you need to increase playback level during recording.
fruitypie

Post by fruitypie »

support wrote:If you record streaming audio then you need to increase playback level during recording.
Increase playback level during recording? That sounds confusing to me. Are you talking about increasing the volume of my multimedia player during recording? Or are you talking about increasing the I-Sound Recording Volume Level slider?

Perhaps if I explain what is going on in another way it will help.

This is what I am doing:
I am listening to a music stream with Foobar, the music is playing at a normal volume. I then start the I-sound recorder and move the I-sound Volume Level slider to 100%. After I finish recording I stop the recorder then play the I-sound recording of the stream - it sounds only 1/3 as loud as the stream did. Not good.

Okay, then I tried recording something else that was not a stream.
I start playing an mp3 that I have on my hard drive, the music is playing at a normal volume. I then start the I-sound recorder and move the I-sound Volume Level slider to 100%. After I finish recording I stop the recorder then play the I-sound recording of the mp3 - it sounds only 1/3 as loud as the mp3 did. Same problem.

What do I do now? If I turn up the volume of Foobar while playing the stream or playing the mp3 before I start the recording I will become deaf from the high volume :(

What do I do now to fix the weak volume that I hear when I play the recordings? Like I said I have the I-sound Volume Level slider turned up as high as it can go. Turning up the volume of my multimedia player (Foobar) is not good, I should not have to be turning it up so loud that it hurts my ears just to help the I-sound recorder.

Please help,
thanks.
support
Site Admin

Post by support »

Yes, you need to increase playback level on the Foobar during recording.
Optimal recording level for i-Sound is ~70% by VU-meters.

In some cases you may have additional volume controls, depending from your sound card and audio driver. Take a look on the Windows Volume control, it may have something like "Master Record" to increase recording level.
fruitypie

Post by fruitypie »

support wrote:Yes, you need to increase playback level on the Foobar during recording.
Optimal recording level for i-Sound is ~70% by VU-meters.

In some cases you may have additional volume controls, depending from your sound card and audio driver. Take a look on the Windows Volume control, it may have something like "Master Record" to increase recording level.
Thank you. I will look into that and report back if it helped.

EDIT: Found the source of the low recording playback volume -->Windows System Volume and Windows Recording Volume was set to 50%.

I increased it to 75% which made an improvement...85% made a greater improvement...100% sounded best.
At 100% System Volume/Recording Volume all my I-sound recordings now playback at the same volume as what I was hearing before recording. And I did not have to change the I-sound Volume Level higher than 70%.

Thank you once again, you are always helpful and knowledgeable.

Jack