Tidal is a subscription-based streaming service launched in 2014 by Aspiro AB. In just a couple of years it transformed into one of the best streaming music services. At the moment, its main competitor is Spotify. While Spotify offer a wider variety of audio content and free subscription, Tidal focused on audio quality (HiFi option) and exclusive content. Music streaming with Tidal sounded fuller, with warmer tones that give bass a nice little oomph. No doubt, it's really better than sound with CD quality. In comparison, songs streamed on Spotify have crisper highs that sound harsher at loud volumes.
For us, in the first place, Tidal is a source of high definition music. But here we are faced with problem - MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) audio is available only in the desktop application. Mobile application with offline mode supports only AAC 320kbps. If you've the kit and ears to enjoy FLAC streaming, you're probably not going to want to settle for anything less. A year ago I used the application for downloading music via Tidal API, but Tidal seems to have fixed this hack, so you can't download FLACs on a normal subscription. Therefore, now you can get music in high quality only by recording.
Thanks to software from Abyssmedia called Streaming Audio Recorder we can now capture bit perfect audio from nearly anything and save it on our hard drives. It does not matter if it's an audio or video track that is playing. As long as it has audio then this tool will surely captures it. What follows is a step-by-step guide to recording music using Streaming Audio Recorder.
- Download and install this app by hitting the "Download" button above.
- After installation, go tho the Settings->Format and select FLAC encoder to save HD audio. The rest of the recording settings will be matched automatically.
- Next is to go to Tidal's app and start audio track that you wish record.
- Come back to Recorder and click the big "Start Recording" button. You will see the timer running on the interface, the file size and recording level.
- Make sure that recording level is ok.
- When you're done, click the "Browse" button to find the songs just recorded. Using recording browser you can edit tags, trim your recordings or send them to iTunes.
Some people think that getting HD audio is a challenge, but in fact it is not. It is makeable as long as you use a reliable tool such as those that we have discussed in the article. With the help of Streaming Audio Recorder you can also get music from other services, such as Spotify or Deezer.